E-TECH Plastic Bumper and Trim Repair Putty – 250g
E-TECH Plastic Bumper and Trim Repair Putty is the perfect solution for cracked, split and holed plastic bumpers and trim. The ultra fine formula eliminates air bubbles and is easy to sand and shape leaving a smooth finish.
The plastic bumper and trim putty has excellent adhesion properties and can be used on all types of plastic bumpers, wheel arches and most other automotive plastic trim.
The fast setting repair putty has good flexibility and can be painted.
- Excellent adhesion to original bumper
- Ultra fine formula eliminates air bubbles and provides a smooth finish
- Easy to sand and shape to original bumper contours
- Can be painted
- Simple and easy to use and apply
- Good flexibility and fast setting
- Can be used on all types of plastic bumpers, wheel arches and most other automotive plastic trim parts.
Contents: 250g (242g Bumper Repair Putty + 8g Hardener)
Putty Colour – Dark grey
Manufactured in the EU in accordance with ISO9001 & ISO14001 quality standards
For best results ensure the bodywork or part you are working on and the Putty are at room temperature before you start the repair (approx 17°C to 21°C).
• For best results apply in a warm, dry, dust free, well ventilated area.
• Remove any loose paint, flakes or debris from the damaged area.
• Sand the damaged area thoroughly and along the edge of the crack, split, scratch or scuff. Feather* the edge back into the good paint about 25mm using a medium grade abrasive paper.
• Clean area to be filled/repaired thoroughly; remove all traces of dust, silicone, polish, wax, dirt, grease etc.(use a cleaner non-injurious to paint work) - we recommend using the E-TECH Technik Surface Deep Cleaner ER00102.
• If you have a crack or split in the plastic to be repaired we suggest that you cut/file a "V" shape along the break in the material, this will give you a greater surface area to bond the two sides together with the Putty producing a stronger repair.
• For large cracks and splits in the plastic bumper we recommend a structural repair/reinforcement to the rear of the damage. You will have to access this from behind the bumper. You can use different products for this like glass fibre (GRP), matting or the E-TECH Reinforced Filler Part No ER00105 which will help bond the split/crack together making the repair stronger.
• Do not apply the E-TECH Plastic Bumper & Trim Repair Putty over painted surfaces as it will not stick. You must ensure that all paint is removed from the area to be filled/repaired to ensure good adhesion.
* Feather Edge – Sand the edge of a paint layer so it tapers down to the metal/plastic surface leaving no ridge or edge
• Use the spreader to mix the Putty and Hardener to a ratio of approx a 30mm (3cm) line of Hardener, to approx a 40mm (4cm) diameter ball of Putty (golf ball size). (This is a ratio of approximately 3-4% hardener to 96-97% Putty). Mix until you have a consistent colour. Try not to create air bubbles when mixing the two components. (Once mixed the Putty will start to harden within a few minutes so we advise you only make up an amount that can be applied within this workable timescale).
• Apply the Putty evenly in several thin layers, about 5mm to 6mm thick, allowing each layer to harden before applying the next layer.
(This helps reduce the formation of voids and air bubbles ensuring a good adhesion).
• The final layer should be 1mm to 2mm proud of the desired level to allow for sanding and shaping.
• Allow the Putty to fully cure/harden for approx 30 minutes at room temperature. It may take longer to cure in cooler temperatures or if the correct ratio of Putty to hardener is not exact.
• Use a coarse grade abrasive paper to sand back the Putty to the desired shape. (If you end up with a low spot or a place where a bubble has formed simply mix some more Putty and apply). Ensure the surface is clean and dust free before applying.
• Once the Putty is shaped, sand it with progressively finer grades of abrasive paper smoothing the Putty and feathering* the edges into the surrounding paint and bumper/trim.
• Now clean the area thoroughly with a lint free cloth or tack rag to make sure the surface is free from dust and sanding debris. We recommend another application of our E-TECH Technik Surface Deep Cleaner ER00102.
• If you now have an area of bare (unprimed) plastic surrounding the repair, you will need to seal the surface to provide a secure foundation for the primer and top coat of paint. We recommend using the E-TECH Technik Plastic Pre-Primer Part No ER00110; follow the instructions on the can.
• You are now ready to prime the repaired area. We recommend the E-TECH Technik Repaired Surface Primer, Part No ER00109; follow the instructions on the can.
• Once you have primed the damaged area you can apply the top coat of paint.
TOP COAT OF PAINT
We recommend that you find the manufacturer's colour code for your vehicle which will be on the VIN plate/chassis plate (refer to vehicle owner's hand book to locate this information) or you could ask your local dealer for your paint colour code. Contact a good local motor factor who mixes paint on their premises and they will be able to provide you the exact colour match in an aerosol for DIY application (use).